Monday, January 26, 2009

Perspective


I shot these images one Sunday morning on the way home from my parents house in a little town called Tuscumbia, Alabama.
I stopped by an old industrial type building that I have watched rust and deteriorate all of my life. I grew up in this little town and passed this old place almost every day in the 80's and never thought enough about it to even ask what it was.
A few visits back as Jay and I were driving past we mentioned that there were a lot of cool photographic ideas there. It's interesting to think about how things that have been around you all your life are just etchings of nothing in your memory, but nonetheless, there. They have no real meaning other than a remembrance of home. But if you stop long enough to visually break the subject down into smaller parts, you will begin to see it differently. The lines and the curves start reaching toward you. The intricate details begin to look you in the face as to say, "it's about time you notice me!". Then comes the warm fuzzy feeling and recognition of days gone by.

I didn't shoot here long. It was very cold and my jacket was thin. Besides, there was an old man that came out of his little run down house across the street and began staring as if he would call 911 if I ventured out of his sight. So I got what I could, threw up my wave to let him know that the only thing I was taking with me were my images, and went on my way.
Wow! I love these shots! And to think, I always thought this old place was an eye sore!

So, if you have an opportunity this week to look at something familiar with a different perspective I suggest trying it. It will remind you to not hurry past the details of life. Embrace the images that have always been there but have no meaning. When you do, you will find that in all things there is something to appreciate. Always.
--pjO

No comments:

Post a Comment