Monday, March 2, 2009

MORE THAN MONEY CAN BUY


You know you've hit the big time when you walk away from work with a bag of eggs as part of your wages!

So, this sweet old farm dude in crispy overalls was quietly admiring his grandson's basketball images that were a part of my sports action sale last Saturday. You could tell how proud he was of that boy as he flipped from image to image critiquing the 7 year old's talents only in the affirmative. From Old Farm Dude's comments I'm pretty sure that the boy is on his way to the NBA.

Pausing from his admirations, he asked me, "How much do you get for these here pictures of these kids?". I told him, and he went back to flipping through the photographs. After a few more glances he surprisingly placed the pictures back on the table and went his own way.

After my other table guests made their purchases and stepped away, Old Farm Dude shuffled back toward me with another question, "Miss, do you eat eggs?". Huh? Do I eat eggs? Who doesn't eat eggs, I thought, but I politely answered him with "Yes indeed, I do eat eggs".

Turns out...he had no money. But he had a "truck full of some of the biggest and best fresh farm eggs that anyone could get their hands on, which happened to be gathered just this very morning, and that truck happened to be parked right outside!"

Needless to say, he left grinning from ear to ear with his hand full of cherished images of his grandson in which he promised to share with his daughter.

The more I think about it, the more I figure that the old farm dude probably had more money in his wallet than I have seen in a while. And with a truck full of the biggest and best fresh farm eggs anyone can get their hands on he'll probably always have that fat wallet!

Know what I say to that? Good for Old Farm Dude in the crispy overalls! I was paid with a bag full of Simple Americana, and that's more than money can buy! It was AWESOME! I wouldn't have missed that trade for a double sale of sports images for cold cash! It just felt pure and wholesome for some reason.

If you happen to be on our side of town, stop by...we'll flip you the best egg and cheese sandwich you can get your hands on!






No comments:

Post a Comment